Monday, May 21, 2012

Safety Razors

For the first time since I started shaving, I switched things up a bit. I have used cartridge razors for my entire shaving career (career?). I have been incredibly loyal to the Gillette brand of razors through most of that time. Through some error, I received my first Gillette Mach III in the mail on my 17th birthday. Any man over the age of 18 will know that this was a mistake, because on your 18th birthday you receive a free Gillette razor, usually the most current model, in the mail.The Gillette marketing machine worked perfectly on me. I bought refills up until about a month ago. They worked well and were sold practically everywhere. The problem with them was this: They are expensive. Seriously, I'm sure 90 percent of guys already know exactly what I'm talking about. I started to look for alternatives after seeing this video



I signed up for this. But before receiving my first shipment I cancelled. I started reading up on old fashioned safety razors, which is what I've been using for the past 2 weeks. Let me tell you, it's been a good investment. Not wanting to drop 100 bucks on shaving equipment I didn't want, I went with some pretty basic stuff from amazon. Namely this razor handle, this shaving brush/soap/bowl combo and 100 of these razor refills. The total for all of this was about the equivalent of a four pack of Gillette Fusion blades. All the "guides" on this type of shaving suggested buying a variety pack of blades to see which ones you like, but the price was too good. I am pretty much set for the next two years. Not only does my new getup shave just as well as my fusion (pretty impressive for being on the lower side in terms of price) but it's a fraction of the price and a lot more fun to shave with. I actually get to lather up shaving cream with a brush!



No comments:

Post a Comment