Friday, September 2, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Musicals

                This weekend I have the privileged opportunity to attempt to survive a weekend among the elements. For labor day weekend (and my birthday) I will be camping with my wife and her family. I probably will not survive. I've considered the possibility that this is some type of life insurance scheme concocted by Shannon, but the jokes on her. I have no life insurance! I will spend two nights in what will be the psychological equivalent of a haunted mental asylum, except instead if a padded cell with thick walls to protects me, I'll have to fend off the bears behind a paper thin piece of fabric that die-hards will insist is a shelter. If I'm not eaten by the bears, I'll almost certainly contract typhoid fever from the mosquitoes, as I can't afford enough DEET to physically bathe in. (as opposed to the non-physical bathing, I guess)

               I may be overreacting a tad. We'll technically be at an RV park, Shannon and I will be in a tent across the way from her families fifth wheel. Also, the campsite has wifi, so that's a plus. I've never really been “real” camping. It's not that I wouldn't love to test my skill roughing it in the woods, but have you seen “Grizzly Man”? Look, all that to say: Just because I can't have a musical movie marathon this labor day weekend, doesn't mean you can't. Seriously, you have three days to kill, allow me to suggest a few of my favorite musicals to watch this labor day weekend.

Saturday: The Pirates of Penzance

                This Gilbert and Sullivan classic follows Frederick, a man who was mistakenly apprenticed to a band of pirates until his 21st birthday. The performances in the 1983 movie version are excellent, with Kevin Kline perfectly exaggerating the image of masculinity as the pirate king. It is a story of mistaken identity, duty, and lots of misunderstandings.





Sunday:Little Shop of Horrors

                       Made in the 80s and set to the backdrop of 1960s New York, “Little Shop of Horrors is a cautionary tale about the difficulty of stopping malicious actions, once they're put into motion, even if they're for good causes. Seymour Krelborn (played by Rick Moranis) Works in a plant shop on skid row. His compromises start small but grow to monstrously huge levels. This movie directed by Frank Oz, and sports a Jim Henson Creation as the villain. It expertly weaves 80s camp with fun 60s style music. The movie has a number of cameos including: Bill Murray, John Candy and James Belushi. Steve Martin has a small but great role.




Monday: Fiddler on the Roof

                      Giving a glimpse into Jewish life and tradition, “Fiddler on the Roof” is a classic. If you haven't seen this movie yet, you should make it a priority. It follows the life of a Jewish family in pre-revolution Russia. A father tried to protect his family while staying true to his heritage.




               This isn't an exhaustive list, but it's a pretty good way to spend a small portion of your labor day weekend. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Your campsite has wifi?! LOLz. Ya, you should totally be fearing for your life... bears LOVE free wifi.

    I haven't seen any of those movies... adding to netflix que now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. team America: World Police had some pretty classic songs, among them 'Pearl Harbor Sucks'.

    ReplyDelete